Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Howdy, Y'all.

Being in Australia and having an accent is one of the best things ever. I wouldn't exactly say that I'm the most outgoing person in the world. I can't start a conversation with a stranger and talk for hours on end like my dad and brother can. But here, having an accent is easily the best conversation starter; it takes all the pressure of "making a move" off me, and through it I get the chance to meet lots of locals and ask where in Australia I should visit after I leave Brisbane in October.

Here's the list of places to visit, so far:
  • Whitsunday
  • Cairns
  • Noosa Heads
  • Byron Bay
  • Mackay 
  • Sydney
  • Melbourne
  • O'Reilly's Rainforest
  • Binna Burra Walk

Most people that I meet are through working at the restaurant; when I serve them and ask if they need anything they hear my accent...boom, conversation starter. There was a birthday at the Golden Ox the other night, and in the large group of people eating was a family of four: husband, wife, and two small children. I always seem to identify with kids, they like me. I think it's because I smile a lot. I enjoyed serving this family throughout the night. They were friendly, and didn't mind the fact that I was in training and taking a little bit longer to serve the table than what is expected from servers at The Golden Ox. Well a couple days later I was sitting in the shopping center cafe, where I go to use the free wifi every morning, and sure enough there was the same lady with her two kids! I decided to ask if they were indeed the same family who had eaten at The Golden Ox the other night (which I already knew). We started talking, she asked how long I've been here and how long I plan to stay...and I found out that her family has been backpacking around Australia for the past two years. She's the one who told me that if I like beaches (which I do) I should go to Whitsunday, Cairns, and Noosa Head. They are now at the top of my list!

O'Reilly's and Binna Burra were mentioned by a limousine driver whose exhibit was set up near The Golden Ox's at the wedding expo I worked. This guy told me those two places were some of the best rainforest walks to explore through while in Australia.

I haven't quite decided if when people ask where I'm from, I should just say Texas or say America. Right now it's about 50/50 on the responses I get. I've been saying I'm from America, and some people are like, "Oh, how lovely. Whereabouts in America?" But others are like, "Well I figured that. Where in America are you from?" Okay. How am I supposed to know you're an expert on all foreign accents, sir!? I prefer the former, more friendly, responses when I tell them I'm from America. 

And apparently I have the American accent, but I don't have the typical Texan accent. I've been asked countless time if I'm from the North...nope. I've also been asked if I'm from Canada, on more than one occasion. I'm not one to get offended by that question, but ask Taylor and Ethan if they're from Canada and it's a different story. Ha

Living in the states, and going to school outside of Texas, people automatically assume that if you're from Texas then you're probably all gung ho about it being the biggest and best state in the world. Well, I'm not "one of those Texans" who think Texas is God's gift to America, and anyone not living in Texas is a poor, unfortunate soul. BUT, I do own two Texas charms that belong on a few of my favorite necklaces, a Texas flag sports bra, and Texas flag shorts (in UCA colors). However, that's because Texas is home. And I will forever be thankful that I get to call it just that, home. So yes, in a sense, I am a proud Texan. I am proud of my Amarillo roots.


Let me go off on another quick tangent here about being from Amarillo. After people find out I'm from Texas, their next question is usually "Where in Texas?" And when I say I'm from Amarillo, they usually say one of the following:

a) Never heard of it.
b) Where's that? 
c) Ohh, there's a song about that place. 
d) I've been to [insert big Texas city here, think Dallas/Fort Worth/ Houston]. How close is that to Amarillo?

So yeah, you get the picture. People are missing out on good ol' Amarillo!

Today I met a man who, go figure, lives here in Brisbane. There's this book store going out of business across from the cafe and ALL the books are on clearance...like, $2 and $5 books! I couldn't help but go in and browse. I love books. Anyways, I was walking through the store with my headphones in, but stopped to open up an interesting looking book and flip through it. An older man comes up, points to the book and says, "I'm sure glad to see kids your age still reading books." I turned around, smiled at him, and said, "I still prefer the actual paper books, rather than the online copies that people are getting into now." 


Then the man asked where I was from. Boom, new conversation. I told him America; he was one of those who said, "Well yeah, I gathered that, but where in America?" So I told him Texas. Turns out he had been to Texas in 1984. He used to be a ballet dancer. Say what!? I would've never guessed. But yeah, he was in some big production in Dallas/Fort Worth back in the day. How cool? He told me I need to visit Mackay. 

He also told me to never go back to America...


XO - Cristin 

No comments:

Post a Comment