Thursday, June 26, 2014

Because We're American.

Ethan, Taylor, and I woke up at 2am this morning. You know why? Because we’re American! and the United States was playing Germany in the World Cup. If we were back in America, the soccer game would’ve been easy to watch; it would’ve been starting at 11am on Thursday morning. But here in Australia, we’re in a different time zone…15 HOURS AHEAD…so the live showing of the game started at 2am. 2AM! And the boys had to leave for work at 4:45am...yuck. That's dedication.


We have TiVo, but watching a replay of the game isn’t good enough, especially for my soccer loving roommates. And they didn’t want to risk going to work and having one of their coworkers, or Facebook/Twitter, ruin the outcome for them. So we decided to have a sleepover in the living room: me on the couch, Ethan on the floor, and Taylor on the fold-out twin bed we just got for his family coming in town tomorrow. 

Our alarm was set for 1:55am. I swear I blinked and it was already time to wake up...how does that happen? It was so dark in the living room, and the TV was so bright, too. I think I watched the entire game squinting with one eye open and the other closed. Both eyes only came open when I would hear Ethan or Taylor scream at the TV because something good or bad happened, and then I really focused on the replay! Ha. 

It's too bad the US lost. I really thought we were going to tie there in the last thirty seconds, just like Portugal did to us in the game before. But hey, we're still going to the Round of 16. GO USA!!

Speaking of being American...the 4th of July is coming up soon. And we've decided to host a VERY AMERICAN party on the 5th for all our Australian friends. We want to give them even more of a  taste of our American pride. We're having it on the 5th because, like I said, we're a day ahead here. So when it's the 5th here, it'll be the 4th in the states. And we wouldn't want to celebrate America's independence before everyone else gets to celebrate it! 


Of course we're going to go all out for this party. Australians deserve to feel American for at least one day, right? My sister sent me this link about American themed parties around the world: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/this-is-what-american-parties-look-like-around-the-world 

Enjoy. And stay tuned for how ours turns out! Oh, and if there are any suggestions about how we should decorate, or activities we should do, or food we should eat, feel free to share :)

XO - Cristin



1 comment:

  1. Lots of red, white and blue for the party. Obvs. I feel like beer pong should be a part of this? Is that a thing over there? Maybe corn hole? Hotdogs and Budweiser? Queso, for a little taste of Texas? :)

    ReplyDelete