Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Finding a Job is Hard...

I have two degrees, I've got this. I figured I would get down to Australia and find a job pretty easily. That's what the boys told me anyways...

Wrong.

Unfortunately my teaching degree isn't compatible with the schools here, so substitute teaching and childcare/daycare are out of the question. I kinda figured that before I left anyways, and when I was still back home, thinking about the type of work I wanted to do while I was here, I pictured myself in a coffee shop, boutique, or restaurant. I wanted to work somewhere laid-back and cool, where I could meet new people and talk to locals. Well, I've turned my CV (resume, for you non-natives) into fifteen different places and only two seem mildly interested!

  • Debonair's Cafe - this is in the shopping center close to our house. I talked to the owner and he said he would be hiring soon. But when I asked how soon "soon" was, he said in about a month... Okay, that's not soon enough.
  • The Coffee Club - this is a little cafe down by the water in Moreton Bay. This place would be AWESOME to work at. When I said I wanted to work with cool people, these are the type of people I was picturing! And this is the place that seemed kind of interested. They said they would look over my CV and maybe give me a call in about a week for a "trial." Fingers crossed, people!

Everyone else either says, "We're not hiring at the moment, but we're always taking CVs," or "Do you have any experience?" Which I don't...because I never worked in high school or college because of school and athletics; that was a full time job! Okay, I did have one job my senior year in high school. I worked at the UPS Store; I can pack and organize things like no other! The boys have already seen my skills... I also worked at Wilkinson's Mall in Conway for a while. But even with those two jobs, I have no experience in the food and coffee industry. If I could go back in time, I definitely would've worked in a coffee shop in high school or college...I would be set here! At least I think I would.

It's really hard to find a place to work, too, whenever you don't have a phone and only get the opportunity to check email every morning. I've redone my CV multiple times, adding qualifications that I think might make me more appealing to employers, and I finally added Ethan's international phone number. He said he would start leaving the phone with me, just in case I get a call.



Wait, what is this thing!? Why is it so small? What is T9!? Where's Siri?


Just waitin' on a call from these guys...
My list of places in Moreton Bay that took my CV anyways:
  • Outback Jack's Bar and Grill
  • The Ambassador - I need an RSA Certificate to work here, which'll cost me about $70...
  • The Rustic Olive
  • Cactus Jack's
  • Abby Lee Fashion Boutique
  • Sails Fish and Chips
  • Surf Vision 
  • Target
Maybe something will happen and tomorrow they will need a new employee...

XO - Cristin

1 comment: