Sunday, October 19, 2014

Mum's the Word...for Mom.

I don't think there will ever be an end to the new words and phrases that I hear living in Australia. There's literally something said every day that I'm like, what? what does that mean? Ha. I'm so American...if I add a "y" to everything and/or don't pronounce the r's in any of my words I'm basically halfway there to being Australian. Here's a few other things I'm trying to remember: 
    If you are being introduced to someone, or want to know their name, you ask “what are they called?” Not “what’s their name.”

    Instead of saying thank you, you say “cheers” or “ta.” Which, I’m all about being polite and saying thank you for everything, but something about using cheers annoys me, it’s overused.

    If you want someone to give it a try, you tell them to “give it a crack” or ”give it a go.”

    You write the date at day/month/year. I’m starting to do this automatically now, and I don’t like it, it really makes me have to think too hard sometimes to figure out which date I'm talking about.

    They don’t know what parentheses are; they call them brackets. So there’s not a difference between ( ) and [ ].

    Spelling is always a bit different: tyre = tire, organisation = organization.

    If you want to order something to go, you ask for “take away.”

    A bachelorette party is called a "hen's night."

    If the restaurant or somewhere isn’t busy, you say it’s “quiet.”

    Calories are measured in kilojoules. Like, I’m now on a 8,700kJ diet…that kinda seems like a lot right!?

    If someone calls you cheeky, it means you’re mischievous. I thought it was some special word for flirting…

    Anything wooden is called timber.

    A pint of Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream costs $13 here! Now that’s ridiculous.

    A snack bar is called the canteen.

    If you drink too much, you’re considered “blind,” rather than wasted. It’s also “drink driving” here, not drunk driving…so strange.

    If you go somewhere for an extended period of time you’re “on holiday” not vacation.

     Here are some more quick translations (Australian to American):

  • Mum = mom
  • Me = my (this one I can't stand)
  • University, or "uni" for short = college
  • How you going? = How are you?
  • Missus = girlfriend
  • Partner = significant other (not necessarily of the same sex)
  • Best mates = best friends
  • I like your crack = I like your personality (I still can't take this comment seriously...haha)
  • Bottle shop, or bottle-o = liquor store
  • Brekky = breakfast
  • Gridiron = American football
  • Let's run it = let's do it
  • "Zed" = the pronunciation of the letter Z
  • Arvo (pronounced ah-vo) = afternoon
  • Macca's = McDonalds
  • Chips = fries
  • Crisps = chips
  • Biscuits = cookies
  • Potato Gems = tator tots
  • Jumper = sweatshirt
  • Scuffs, or slumbies = slippers
  • Stubbies = longnecks
  • Good on ya = good for you
  • Winging = whining
  • Trials = tryouts
  • Training = practice
  • En suite = bathroom
  • Sook = the act of being a baby
  • Righteo = of course
Pretty soon I'll be talking full Australian. Look out, mate!

XO - Cristin 

No comments:

Post a Comment